Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let Them Rejoice...

Wassup, America.

I needed a lil' time off for a minute.

But I'm back.

And what perfect timing!!

As gloomy as this country seemed over the past eight years, Barack Obama's impressive victory last night says a lot about America and it's new direction.

People decided to stand up and be heard. They turned out in unprecedented numbers, and refused to allow broken machines, long lines, and countless other possible setbacks to deter them from changing their country's future.

Win or lose, how can one be bothered by that? Especially given the cruel history of these United States.

Republicans wanted us to be afraid of "change" and all that's "new." "Don't trust him...he's a terrorist," they said. "Just look at his middle name, Hussein." America listened, and chose the change that the GOP warned them against.

I'm still in shock at the outcome of this entire process. How, with everything thrown at him, (labels, threats, racism, etc.) Barack Obama, along with the assistance of millions of supporters rose above the petty BS and took his rightful place as POTUS (President of the United States). Last night's victory finally stamps an expiration date on the "Bush years" and places a fresh, new outlook on the horizon.

A white person asked me this morning, how come Black folks are claiming this as a "personal victory." Rather than get upset, I thought about it, and then explained to him...

...Don't you see...we finally MATTER. We EXIST. The majority of us never thought we would live to see this day. This shows that NOTHING is impossible. Our children will grow up knowing that we TOO can be anything we aspire to be. The history books have been re-written. Oh, and suddenly...I can't WAIT until Black History Month. What?!!

Let's not forget that just a short 43 years ago, Blacks were barely able to vote in this country. People were beaten and even gave their lives to right this wrong.

So, my dear white folks, as this election serves as a powerful moment in history for us all...you'll forgive black folks if they seem to celebrate a little bit harder...scream a little bit louder....and cry just a little bit more. Even though, this IS a victory for ALL Americans, its point resonates a little bit deeper with my folks.

So feel free to get YOUR party on. But don't be alarmed by my people's ebullience these past few hours. It's been a LONG, LONG TIME coming. So...

...LET THEM REJOICE!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes GAWD !!!!

Anonymous said...

As a white person, I would hope that we finally put aside our racial differences and move forward. I do not look at people (or let alone my friends) as Black, White, Red, Yellow. I look at them as Americans.

Celebrate, this is your victory. My hope is that Obama will not only go down as the first African American to hold the highest office in the land, but he will go down in history as truly bring Unity to the United States of America.

Anonymous said...

Not to be rude, but I am kind of sick of white people wishing that "we" put aside the racial difference when they were the ones to create it in the first place. Black people were brought here purely out of the selfishness of white people. Personally, I'll never get over it in my lifetime simply because of one line that my great-grandmother told me ... she cleaned the sanitary towels of white women by hand! That has been emblazoned in my mind and will NEVER go away. So to all the white people who think that we can just "put our differences aside", STOP LIVING IN LA-LA LAND!! Your ancestors created the problem and you will just have to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is that white person again. Sure, we created the problem, but yes, we need to put our differences aside. Do I see Obama as a black man? No, I am sure you know that his mother was white. So as America is the great American melting pot, we need to move forward and treat it as such.

Living in La La land, you need to honestly get over yourself and realize that there are indeed people that don't judge people by the color of their skin. It seems to me that you do. Honestly, and as you said, we created the problem, but it seems to me, that you still feel that us "White" people are still the problem, when you can't get over yourself and blame us for everything. I didn't create the problem, don't blame it on me.

Trust me, I don't have to live with it, you are still holding on and not trying to move forward. I think what happened back then was horrible, but that doesn't mean that we can't come together and make this world a better place.

If that is living in La La land, then so be it, but you need to realize and I have said it before, in a world that is putting aside racial differences, we are truly becoming one great melting pot.

So in closing, you have to learn to face up to what is going to be and move forward and stop hating. Barack is a mixed race, soon more and more people will be also, and where does that leave you..... Hating us white people. Talk about racism.

Anonymous said...

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be rude. I wasn't attacking you nor any other present-day white persons character or integrity AT ALL. I definitely am not blaming anyone for the past. My statements were basically facts of what happened. It's emblazoned on 90% of our brains like brands and tattoo's that will stay with us forever. I don't have any ill feelings towards white people AT ALL. I have PLENTY of friends from different racial backgrounds and I myself am more fair than some of my white friends. They know very well and agree just the same my stance and view of the whole situation. I just wish that you all would realize that this is something you simply cannot ask any Black person to do. You cannot ask us to erase our history of pain and suffering nor triumph and achievement. Without any anymosity whatsoever in my heart, it's PAINFUL still to remember stories from my grandparents talking about their grandparents who were slaves. About them being beaten, hanged, burned alive, raped, etc. I agree with you about coming together and uniting to make this country a better place. But you cannot ask any Black person to put aside "our" differences.

PS - I have a strong and prideful family who taught me my past and made sure it was something I held onto. Alex Haley wasn't the only Black person to have a family where history was passed from one generation to the next! At the same time, my family taught me to LOVE everyone. They taught me that despite what whites did in the past, that is no excuse to treat any person you meet without love and kindness. This is why I decided to become a doctor. I'm not a racist in any stretch of the imagination.

I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

I am positively thrilled for you and proud to be your northern neighbour.

At the same time I'm a little scared for Obama and his family. I hope that they have stepped up security. There are still haters out there.

I hope he can give you the changes you want.